Saturday 23 March 2013

(Take) five days - Don't be shy

Always had to be this song for today, with 5 days to go, although I could have gone with songs by Radiohead, Bjork or Simon and Garfunkel. Am no jazz aficionado but grew up listening to this song being blared out by my father on a Sunday morning and have always had a soft spot for it. So I went to my inaugral parkrun this morning, the first officail Llyn Llech Owain parkrun and had a great time, stretched the legs a bit, 'gently' coaxed my running buddy for the day, Jenny, to at least a 20 second PB although we didn't quite break the 26 minute barrier as she had hoped. Next time though! To be completely honest I am not sure i could have pushed her much harder and we were both a little wary of me doing myself no damage on a course that was a, little damp, uneven, muddy and slippy under foot. I guess the main thing about parkrun though is the social side and it was lovely to catch up with the likes of Jason, Andrea, Ruth and Nozza and meet many others for the first time. Great hot chocolate and cookie too! The second part of my title and song 2 of the day is about my 'shyness'. This is something I have improved on over the years but today made me realise If I am going to really get myself out there in the next few weeks I am going to have to get used to shouting from the rooftops, is not natural to talk yourself up though is it, not to me anyway? So there I was this morning resplendent in my 'I am Premier League' shirt and collection pot but it took the intervention of some very kind supporters (Mr PH and Jason repectively) to get the local press phtographer to make me do some silly poses for photos, which will hopefully get me a little more publicity, and then announce my plans to a packed coffee shop which then resulted in a lot of kind donations and well wishes. So I must be willing to get myself out there verbally, is easy on the internet you know but I only have one crack at this so HAVE to do it in real life too Anyway song number 2 for the day by another of my all time favourite bands is to remind me of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment