Friday 29 March 2013

Day Two Horden to Low Lane

26.29 miles

Today was a hard day, not harder physically than yesterday I think but mentally, Teeside is really not the most inspiring of places but I had good company and is in the bag now.

I had a great start to the day with an email from Bobby Moore's wife Stephanie wishing me all the best and asking me to keep her updated on my progress along with a pile of early morning donations. £170 in the last two days but still need more if I am going to stay motivated and the charities are really going to benefit, so even if you can spare a pound please do.

Anyway started a little later today from the layby where I left off last night, there was a burger van there but I resisted. we did meet Claire and Graham there though with a bag of goodies for me including hobnob bars, liqorice allsorts and a jar of marmite (which I had never tried but have now, more on that later). so myself and Anna set off with Flip supporting in the car today through Horden, Blackhall and on to Hartlepool. Is sad how these communities are clearly still feeling the full impact of Maggie's reign nearly 30 years on, much like home really. Cross wires regards directions meant myself and Anna went through the centre of Hartlepool whilst Flip desperately mtried to locate us but I don't think we added a great deal on to the route, if anything, and we were soon heading out through the industrial wasteland and on towards the transporter bridge. I am not lying when I say this was the MOST uninspiring stretch of road I have ever run on and for a while I didn't think it was ever going to end,m the bridge seemed to get no closer....

However we eventually got over the bridge, which was exciting, and on to The Riverside Stadium for obligatory photos. A short stop hear to refuel and try to sort out the route for the afternoon as Flip was now in relatively unknown territory and my route instructions were a little ambiguous. After a slow start to the afternoon we came across a group of elderly cyclists who managed to give us some fantastic instructions as well as asking, when they found out about the challenge, if I was famous. Anna said not yet....

So basically that was it another 8 or 9 miles following my instructions and Flips wizardry with google maps got us over marathon distance and in a good place to meet tomorrows partner and finish for the day. A Shell garage where fuel rations were stocked up on.

A relatively short, it seemed to me, car journey home consisted of eating sandwiches and allsorts, drinking pop and catching up with my ever growing band of twitter and FB stalkers, I mean followers.

Back at the house have had marmite on toast (nice), bacon sandwiches (nicer) and a soak in a hot bath (bestest).

Have been invited out tonight to Lisrun and partners house for Pizza. Very kind I just hope they know how hungry I am ;-)

Until tomorrow, please keep the support coming, thanks for reading :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment