Sunday 14 February 2010

The people you see...

... out running.


Loads of runners out today, was a lovely day for it, but three things stick in my mind.


1. As i ran along the coastal path a group of runners came towards me, must have been about 5 or 6 of them. I gave my usual cheery hello as I approached and realised at the same time that they were from my running club. Now I wouldn't expect them to recognise me as have only met them 4 times and never really communicated with them but I do wonder why one of them gave me such an evil look. Honestly if looks could kill I wouldn't be sat here typing this now. Maybe it is just her general personality. Maybe I imagined it. The others acknowledged me?


2. As I went past Machynys I said hello to another runner going in the other direction? I had to pull an earphone out quickly as he muttered something to me and ask him to repeat himself. I'm sure he shouted 'Am I close to the pond' but by then he was about 20 metres past me and by the time I processed what he said and tryed shouting 'what pond' it was about 30 metres. I am left wondering if there is a pond in that direction that I have never noticed or whether I should have chased after him and told him that I thought he was going in the wrong direction? Am I a bad man?


3. On finishing my 18 miles, which was my longest run ever, about half a mile from my house I walked past an old couple. The old bloke said 'you will never get fit walking' to which I replied jovially 'just run 18 miles'. When he replied that if that is the case surely there was no need to stop now I had to use all my will power not to insert his walking stick where the sun doesn' shine.


So I need answers:


1. Do you say hello to fellow runners? There was a good article on this in runners world a few months back, what do you think? I find dog walkers are generally friendlier to be honest, may count next time.


2. Would you chase after a random person to tell them you think they are going the wrong way?


3. Can any legal people tell me if it is possible to get away with physical violence after a long hard warm run on the grounds of diminished responsibility?



Anyway I enjoyed the run and am still feeling confident for VLM, would come in around 3hrs 50 at todays pace which would be fine if I'm honest, although I do hope for better. Nice chinese and few jars with my beloved for Valentines now....



Adios Amigos!

1 comment:

  1. Point 1 - You shoud definitely say hello, or at the very least a gesture. It makes you feel better, and it bugs me if someone totally ignores me so if i don't do it then i am no better than them. I notice also that when i do pass runners and we acknoledge each other over the next 200m or so you tend to run faster without trying or realising, this must be a lift you get from the other runner.

    Point 2 - Although i do believe in being a happy person out running and acknoledging fellow runner there is no way i would have turned round and chased this runner, he should have paid more attention when running, the only pond i know of on this run is huge lol

    Point 3 - You are stuffed there, send him down!!

    ReplyDelete