Sunday 7 March 2010

Lessons learnt for VLM


Ran Llanelli Half today in beautiful surroundings and near perfect weather. Was hoping to come in under 1hr 45 but sadly wasn't to be. Thinking about it I can attribute this to a few things and can certainly learn a few lessons with VLM round the corner. By the way, according to my garmin, actual time was 1hr 47.19.


So why do I think I struggled? Particularly from mile 8 onwards? Well in fact only from mile 8 onwards.


1. A mild dose of the squits last night emptied the system and probably didn't help with fuelling today?

2. Last few LSR have been fuelled by lucozade and flapjacks, just a few gulps of water at each of the 4/5 stations today.

3. At the 8ish mile mark when I started to struggle I thought to myself 'Bloody hell this is only a third of the way through VLM'. Didn't help.

4. To break 1.45 should have done 8mm pace so why I averaged 7.30-7.40 pace from mile 2-8 is a bit of a mystery.


So lessons learnt:


1. Make sure is only bland food leading up to VLM, need to keep the fuel in the system.

2. Consistent fueling strategy is needed, water is obviously not enough for me.

3. Positive Mental Attitude

4. DO NOT GO OFF TO FAST!!!

5. No more missed sessions from training plan unless for injury or illness. Haven't missed more than 5 altogether but that has included some PMP runs and speed sessions. CBA is no longer in my vocabulary though.


Don't get me wrong am not too disheartened, took me 2hrs 10 mins to do same race last year....

No comments:

Post a Comment