Saturday 28 January 2012

Train Smart


Sometimes life gets in the way despite your best intentions. Yesterday was a prime example. Was supposed to be an 11 mile day but with Laura not finishing work and arriving home until half seven I knew running in the morning was out of the question and that I couldn’t do it home from work because I would not be home in time to have tea with the family before Laura had to go back to work. There are sacrifices I am willing to make but has to be something completely unavoidable to miss family tea time.

So with Liz yelling’s personal advice to train smart (did I mention that before ;-) ) still at the forefront of my mind I ended up doing the following:

Plan – 11 miles starting @ PMP+20% (9mm) with last 5 @ PMP+10% (8.15mm)

Done – 6 mile cycle to work
6 mile cycle home
5.5 mile run straight off bike @ 7.50mm

Run was faster than I expected but had exactly 45 minutes to get out and back and was feeling extremely comfortable at that pace and wanted to feel as if I had done a workout you know? Could be a fair bit more plan adapting to come still but am feeling happy with progress at the moment.

In other news the inspectors have been and gone and decided we are a good college across all key areas, best we could hope for in my opinion only being just over a year into a merger with another college that is still causing a lot of division.

Also I may be taking Liz’s advice to train smart(did I mention that before ;-) ) a bit far but after skim reading the economist in work for the last 5 years I bit the bullet this week and subscribed for the princely sum of £1 for the first 13 episodes. What next? Watching the news? Don’t get me wrong I do keep up with current affairs as much as a business studies teacher should but have always been much of Sherlock’s mindset that bothering myself with things that I can’t affect are a waste of my energy. The Economist is a good read though so I thought why not. That is what Liz meant by train smart right? (did I mention that before ;-) )

Adios Amigos

No comments:

Post a Comment