Wednesday 18 January 2012

Inspired by Marathon Talk


I can’t believe that, despite hearing of it eons ago, last week was the first time I actually downloaded marathon talk. Have now listened to the latest two episodes plus the Mo Farah interview episode and obviously the episode where James Adams talks about his bimble across America. Honestly if you haven’t listened to it and are interested in running at all, but particularly long distances, get on it now, or am I really the last one to get on the bandwagon? So much good advice, so many inspirational stories and great interviewees…

Listening to the Mo Farah episode tonight has got me even more excited for the Olympics, can’t wait to see how he performs along with what I guess are the other obvious competitors to follow for equally obvious reasons, Jessica Ennis, Usain Bolt and Dai Greene. Key athlete of the year for me though is, and this is pretty much solely from her marathon talk interview last week, Liz Yelling. I will be glued to the screen and willing her on to get the qualification time in London in April. After all she has been through she is still chasing her dream and is so positive which has, with time to start a 12 week plan for Llanelli next week, made me revise my plan for Llanelli. If I could run a half marathon on the same course averaging 7:25 pace last March with hard work, sensible diet and positive thinking surely I can do a full marathon at 7:27 pace this year. Is all about improving speed endurance isn’t it? The pace is there…

So there it is, out there for you all to measure me and help to push me on, a 34 minute PB which will get me a good for age for London for next year as an old, 40, man! You only get out what you put in don’t you?, and training has been going well, I’m feeling strong and have already got 133 miles running and 77 on the bike logged for the year with plenty of core work too. Lucky I have a supportive wife and kids (or they just like me being out of the house). Here’s to lots more injury free, touch wood, miles and lots of early mornings.

Anyway I know it won’t be easy along with organising the ultra and work. We are being inspected next week and apparently I am extremely laid back about the whole thing but surely if you are confident in your abilities, same as with the running, there is nothing to worry about? I will just teach as normal and all will be cool I’m sure…

Had a good run today in dreary drizzle and misty conditions and took what is going to become the obligatory photo from the ultra start line, hopefully I will capture all conditions so entrants will feel nice and comfortable on the start line almost as if they have been there before. So I did just over 10 miles starting at predicted marathon pace (pmp) +20% and doing last 5 at pmp +10% followed by 8 x 100 metre strides concentrating fully on good form. Is days like that along with the motivational marathon talk that make my goals seem achievable and although, I am sure, there will be blood, sweat and tears along the way and days and blogs where I question my ability I am determined to enjoy it! Anyway if I don’t reach my goals I will just blame marathon talk, Mo Farah, Liz Yelling and James Adams

Until next time readers….

1 comment: