Monday 31 December 2012

Looking back looking forwards...

I'm not making any resolutions but don't worry I'm not going to start ranting on about people making the same futile resolutions year in year out, if it makes someone feel better even if for only a couple of days then is all good right? 2012 was ok performance wise looking back now and I PB'd at every distance I ran with the following times: 5k - 20.29 (1 min 16 secs improvement) 10k 44.05 (52 secs improvement) 10m 1.13.28 (Bloody terrible run but first ever 10 mile race so still a PB :-) ) HM 1.34.55 (1 min 52 secs improvement) Mara 3.29.04 (19 mins 43 secs improvement) Not too shabby in all and plenty of miles done too hopefully finishing on around 1890 for the year which is only 30 miles short of last year and 40 shorter than 2010 which was my highest year ever. Factoring a broken pinky, no running for 4 weeks and a gradual build back up I am extremely satisfied with this especially when I think of the 2323 bike miles too, my previous highest was just over 400 miles. It may be construed as a little strange that as I sit here now thinking of all I have achieved I still a little underwhelmed. The good thing though is that I can pinpoint exactly why this is, I'm a man who likes structure, I love to have a target race and a plan to follow and basically since I broke my pinky in September and had to withdraw from New Forest marathon and Gower ultra the last 3 months have been a little directionless. Sure I have been getting the miles in ready for 'I am Premier League' (took me nearly 5 paragraphs to mention it :-) ) but without the structure I like. Have put together a plan with help from the legendary Andrew Murray now though so am happier :-) So 2013 and my hopes and aspirations? I feel I have reached a bit of a watershed moment in my life, whether it is to do with turning 40 I don't know but it may well have contributed but I am also getting inspiration from reading and hearing the stories of our Olympic heroes and at the moment Scott Jureks book and wathcing Bicycle Dreams (fantastic documentary film get it now if you haven't seen it already). So what am I getting from these stories and my increasing maturity? Basically that I am not doing enough in my life to get maximum returns for me or my family so am going to make a number of changes. 1. Eat so much better, not just 4 or 5 days a week, with at least 3 vegetarian days a week. 2. With number one in mind I will finally get round to sorting the garden out properly, is pretty big and all that has concerned me before is making sure it remains child friendly. I will have a vegetable patch by the spring. 3. I need to be in tip top shape for March so I am going to get back to doing at least an hour a week strength and core work to go with the running. Ten nminutes a day sounds easy doesn't it. 4. Do at least one job a day iin the house until it is all redecorated. The kids and pets are all older now so hopefully it will stay decorated. 5. Less time on Fetch and other social media sites. Half hour a night before bed and uploading time. So I hope to remain very busy whether it be training, doing the challenge, racing or sorting the house and garden out. In terms of training and racing aspirations I will aim for the following. 1. To be as fit as I can for 'I am Premier League'. 2. By the time I finish it at VLM on April 21st I think I will probably be at 1500 miles for the year running so have set my mileage target for the year at 2800 miles. 3. That is up in the air though as I have entered the ballot for Ride London 100 and if I get in will have to concentrate on more bike miles come May. Hope to convince work to join the cycle to work scheme. Hope to reach 1800 miles on the bike whatever. 4. An autumn attack on 10k, HM and marathon PBs. Just need to decide on the events to enter. So a busy and exciting year comiing up but the all consuming thing at the moment remains raising as much as humanly possible for my 'I am Premier League' charities so I will finish by asking once more to share my plans with as many people as you can, still need as much support as possible whether it be running partners, donations, items to auction or corporate sponsorship to help cover my costs (will be huge amounts of publicity for the comany that takes the plunge). Here are the links again, I have £435 donations already, question is whether between you wonderful people I can get it up to £500 by midnight tonight. Please help and share the links even if you aren't, understandably, in a position to donate right now. Website Virgin Giving Page Happy New Year my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment