Wednesday 2 January 2013

Noses are for breathing mouths are for eating

Sponsorship Link Am reading the Scott Jurek book, Eat and Run, and must recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it, is right up there with the best I have read, thoughful, insightful and an all round great story. Anyway along with many other tips in the book he talks in some depth about how much energy can be conserved if you breath through your nose whenever possible whilst running and concentrating on diaphragmatic breathing. Now I had never really thought about this, I just breath and quite easily too, I can get in from a twenty miler and apart form the sweat the OH wouldn't know I had been running by my breathing. Anyway I am willing to give anything a go so have done the last few days, it is not bloody easy let me tell you, well I don't think so anyway. Yesterday I was on Veera so was a little easier but after a couple of minutes with a strong headwind I did start to get a headache in the temple. I forgot about it on todays 10 mile run until the last half mile so made myself do it then and it was bloody difficult, all I wanted to do was open my mouth and gulp in large amounts of air. I can see the sense in it though, not least, as Jurek explains, because when running long distances it is often important to take solid fuels on and if you are breathing through your nose you can easily breath and eat at the same time. I'm going to give it a good go anyway and am off now to find some sights with breathing tips and exercises. I will take any advantage. Would love to hear any views you have on this and if you haven't tried it before give it a go and feedback to me Exhale.....

No comments:

Post a Comment