Monday 6 May 2013

34 days later...

34 days since the wheels came spectacularly crashing off the challenge and today was a huge step forward. I am back in the hospital tomorrow morning and although I have felt capable of running for the last week or so I have been good and held myself back. I have however been cycling a few miles, up to 15 on the longest day, and also joined the local gym to motivate me to get back to my strength training. Is a beautiful day today in Llanelli and I already knew that I was going out on Veera to meet up with the running clucb who were going for their traditional bank holiday breakfast run which ends up in Wetherspoons. I also decided pretty much as soon as I woke up that I was going to try a little run post cycle, half a mile at most?, to test the injury. My thinking being that if it played up I could stop immediately and be able to tell the hospital that there was still a problem and if it didn't I would be able to report that. Well after covering about 10 miles, very slowly, on Veera, with scrambled egg on toast and a mug of green tea in the middle, I got home and immediately donned my new running shoes. The next step was a walk down to the field so I wouldn't be tackling any inclines or declines. Before I knew it, with my heart rate rising rapidly (I have never been so bloody nervous about a run) I was tentatively under way, it felt very strange almost like I had never run before. However I ran to the end of the field and back to the bridge and didn't feel the injury once so as long as nothing flares up in the next 24 hours I would hope I am back on the road. even managed to do 9.30mm pace when I looked, I thought I had gone a lot slower. So is baby steps from here, have been very sensible for the last 34 days, I must continue to be so. My only target at the moment is to hopefully be ready to run my local 10k by the end of June, not for a time, just run it, I will just listen to my body. Now I know there are going to be lots of excited blogs later about marathons and other races, pb's etc but I will be very surprised if anyone is as happy as I am right now I am going to celebrate today with a day off the healthy eating plan but tomorrow the hard work (happily) starts VLM 2014 is the big focus now.... Don't call it a comeback, I am back...

No comments:

Post a Comment