Sunday 12 May 2013

2nd Gear

Have to say it has been a good week in Chez Rogerson, I haven't won the lottery or anything like that but I am a week into my comeback and am generally happy with my progress. Did a whole mile on Wednesday and upped that to 1.1 miles on Friday, both with no ill affects apart from a little stiffness in an old hip flexor war wound. Discussed the situation with Laura after Fridays' run and with her acquiescence decided I would ramp the mileage up a little quicker than I first planned. My thiinking is that if there is no reaction why shouldn't I go further, is my base fitness I need to work on again. Headed out this morning after 12.5 on Veera with a route in mind that would probably cover about 3-4 miles without ever being more than half a mile from home in case anything did flare up. 3.5 miles later and everything was fine :-) Kept it slow at below 70%WHR and felt extremely comfortable, coming in at 9.38mm pace, so next target is to join up with the running club next Sunday morning and do 5 or 6 miles with them. Am going to do Llyn Llech Owain parkrun slowly on Saturday too, hopefully as sweeper so I don't get too excited and overcook it. Have carried on with the strength work too and that has been harder, as I think I mentioned previously has been 3 years or so since I stopped doing it regularly, although I have had some sporadic core sessions. Am quite unimpressed by my weakness and how much I am aching from gentle squats etc but is a work in progress and will all come together and be worth it further on down the line. Am debating whether to join in with a kettlebell class on Tuesday night but am not entirely sure I am ready for it yet. Thoughts? Another improved week on the dietary front too, only one bad day and no alcohol, so tomorrows weigh in shouldn't be too bad. Keeping on with the easy sub 70%WHR running until the end of May then, all being well, am going to introduce some intervals and tempo runs to get a bit of pace in the legs ready for Llanelli 10k on June 30th which I will run to HR. *Wanders off to revise his plan....*

No comments:

Post a Comment