Monday 8 April 2013

I am Premier League - A Final Word

May I begin by thanking you all from the bottom of my heart for your support in the last few months or for looking after me on route if you were one of the lucky(?) ones who put me up, fed me and/or run, drove or cycled with me whilst I was grinding out the miles. Your support really was truly amazing and now the dust is beginning to settle makes me feel honoured to know you all, it is one of if not the most rewarding part of my journey and has fully restored my faith in human nature. That I had not met many of you before, and some I still haven't unfortunately, just goes to further emphasise just how incredible the support has been. I owe lots of you a drink or two and am adamant that I will make this happen at some point in the future. Just to clear up the situation regards my halted progress for those of you who maybe aren't aware I ended up in Blackburn A + E (a nissan hut with zero heating) last Wednesday with a red and painful lower right shin and foot. As it happens this pain had begun a week ago today after meeting Andy as I passed by Wakefield. The last 10 miles of 30 to Hillsborough that day were pretty sore but I was willing to take a chance that it was another niggle that would fade away although deep down I had a bad feeling. However I still managed to negotiate 32 memorable, if bloody painful, miles across the Pennines on the Tuesday before hobbling from Etihad to Old Trafford on the Wednesday. The injury was diagnosed as a stress reaction in the hospital and it was made quite clear to me that I would not be able to continue, and this was obviously correct as I have barely been able to walk since. Have just returned from the doctors this morning as I was hoping to book an ultrasound as recommended but I have been told it is not necessary at this point. Turns out the leg is badly infected so I have got some super strong antibiotics and some anti-inflammtories and been told to rest completely for a few days (just bought The Hobbit so that is this afternoon sorted at least) and am to return to the doctor next Monday to see how things are progressing. Maybe, just maybe, I wont be out for as long as I first thought, fingers crossed please everyone. Thanks again. I love you all. I still managed to cover more than a marathon on average every day for the 7 days I was out there, even with the paltry 5 and a half hobbled miles on the last day included and without each and everyone of you this wouldn't have been possible. Until next time... Matt x

No comments:

Post a Comment