Monday 1 April 2013

Day 5 To Sheffield, Manchester tomorrow

Another day in the bag, and a it was certainly a day of three halves :-) Setting off from the hotel this morning with full kitbag for the first time I stopped in Burger King to pick up some breakfast to eat on route and I was away towards the city of Jess and the Arctic Monkeys, tidy :-) Walked the first 50 minutes and then got into my walk run routine of previous days heading through Wakefield and on towards Barnsley. I felt ok with the bag although it does slow you down a bit so I was looking forward to my brother joining me to take the weight off so to speak. Around 11.5 miles in he joined me in the car as he had quickly realised cycling the hills may have made him more of a hindrance than a help, especially with the pack and I was happier like this as the roads were quite busy and he could easily have overbalanced. He was amazed by the weight on the pack and made it quite clear I was not to carry it again lol, I didn't think it was that bad..... This was a boost as you could imagine and I got some strong miles in up to around mile 20 where we stopped for a sandwich on the outskirts of Barnsley and I felt I had broken the back of another hilly day. Not long after setting off again the limbs started to ache though, particularly the bottom of my right leg on the shin bone, so although I managed to keep going it wasn't altogether comfortable but have had a good rest and been well fed by Monsenb now and everything seems ok. This is going to happen isn't it? I just have to be careful to ensure I know when it is aches and pains that are par for the course and when, which touch wood it wont be, it is more serious, Anyway I got to Hillsborough via High Green (Arctic Monkeys fans?) and Penistone :-) Road and another 30.4 miles were in the bank, only 450 to go. Had my photo taken next to the Hillsborough Memorial, sent a bit of a shiver down my spine and just didn't feel in a celebratory mood about being there. Still remember the day it happened like it was yesterday, such sad and pointless wastes of life. So another hard day, again not helped by the lack of donations. I know the majority of you readers have helped as much as you think you can but with the Easter break over and people back in front of their computers can I plead with you again to keep spreading the word and if you have any media contacts trying to raise the profile of the challenge. I know I keep on but is for a good cause I hope you agree. Not wanting to moan though the positives still outweigh any negatives don't get me wrong, my lovely niece and nephew sent me an Easter egg each plus £3 each from their money boxes to buy some beer, I mean food, I got to see my brother and meet Monsenb again (he had bacon sandwiches waiting for me, how awesome is that?, and I have a Spurs bed :-) ) and had my usual past run chat and catch up with Laura which is always the highlight of the day. Tomorrow the Pennines.... http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=MattRogersonispremierleague

No comments:

Post a Comment