Sunday 3 April 2011

One - Born to Run Track Marathon 2/4/11 Race Report


I can't remember anything
Can't tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel the scream

Running a marathon should never be underestimated a fellow runner told me a couple of days ago, and when a veteran of over 100 marathons says such a thing I saw it as key that I took the advice on board, especially as was marathon No.1 of three in three weekends. Had I mentioned that ;-)

Saying this I must admit that bar the training, and I managed 100 miles more from Jan-March this year than last year, nearly 600, all the organising of charity nights, yesterdays race, sponsored walks and constant badgering of real life friends, family and friends, facebookers and twitterers I had, probably for the best, not given much thought to the actual challenge ahead of me in terms of the racing.

Ok I know ‘shut up and tell us how the actual race went’!

Well rising at 6Am was never part of the plan but a lack of jam in the house on Friday night meant I was putting the finishing touches to the participants post race cake. After as stress free an hour or two as is possible trying to rush four kids and a poorly wife I managed to make the track by 0830 where a little panic set in as the catering and rides etc hadn’t arrived. Was only there 5 minutes before they started arriving although they may as well have not bothered as they were packing up and pouting by 1030 as they didn’t have enough custom. I refuse to feel guilty for them as I had told them I made no promises regards attendees and I had distributed over 1000 flyers, had a large banner up and was advertised two or three times a day on local radio in the six weeks leading up to the race day. I am not accountable for the apathy of the people of Llanelli.

Anyway with all the racers arrived and happy and the sun starting to shine it was time to get the legend that is Fin Wilson, check her out here, to start us off. I must say that it was fantastic to meet so many people who are so inspirational, each facing their own challenges in completing the marathon. I feel honoured that each and every one of them took part in my event.

Regards the race there is not a great deal to say for the first 20 miles or so, I felt really strong (as would be expected) and the wonderful Roland’s PA, my fantastic choice of running music and the fantastic support from family and friends made it an enjoyable run.

Going into last 6 miles and although I was feeling it I was still managing to keep well below 9mm pace and with the help of Stuart, who had come down to support after work, running a few sporadic laps with me and trying his best to shelter me from a stiff breeze, that seemed to be picking up, knew that bar disaster I could get a reasonable PB which was always the aim. Unfortunately the feeling of nausea meant I refused my last gel at mile 23 and I wonder now whether if I had forced it down I would have managed to maintain the pace for the last 3 rather than losing about 6 minutes in those last miles. I was feeling the same at mile 20 and managed to keep the gel down and didn’t lose pace so maybe would have been the same. Another marathon another lesson learnt? Still a 5 minute PB though.

So it is time now to prepare for the next two, hoping Brighton will bring another PB with an extra gel and crowd support allowing me to build on what I plan to be a faster first 20. Who knows though, could be blowing a gale on the seafront, so many variables to contend with am happy to just take it as it comes. Am just glad I don’t have to run around a track another 105 times, am feeling ok this morning and am going to do an ickle 2 in a while just to shake off any tightness.

Once again a big well done to all participants, fantastic performances by one and all, if any of you are reading this and want to add me on facebook I can link you in to the photos.

A big thank you once again to the volunteers and supporters with a big shout out going to Laura, Megan, Robert, Boo, Chris and family, Jessie, Alannah, Angela (you were fantastic, thanks for the photos too), Roland, Stuart, Elaine and Georgia. Also a little mention to my students who stayed around after their relay marathon to cheer me down the final straight, you give me hope for our future, wonderful young people that you are.

Same time next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment